Friday, January 15, 2016

Back to Blogging in 2016

After several years of silence, I am again turning to this channel to discuss important issues around religion and war.  I finished a PhD program in 2015 with a dissertation on: "Psychology, Theology, and Ideology Shape Decisions on War and Peace: A Study of Billy Graham, Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Vietnam War."

I recently wrote an op-ed on "King and War," which will be appearing at truthout.org.  I will be inviting readers to go to this blog for discussion of King and war.  A small portion of the op-ed is given here:

King had been criticized for speaking out on foreign policy: “Peace and civil rights don’t mix, they say.  Aren’t you hurting the cause of your people, they ask?  And when I hear them . . . I am greatly saddened, for such questions mean that the inquirers have not really known me, my commitment or my calling.  Indeed, their questions suggest that they do not know the world in which they live.”  King linked civil rights at home with international peace – an inherent and intimate connection, alarmingly evident also in 2016.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a test comment to make sure everything is functioning.